Friday, June 8, 2012

Things that are popularly counter-intuitive . . . .

How are your natural reactions faring?  Are you strange?  Is there some pattern of behavior in your life that someone might consider to be counter-intuitive or unnatural? 


I remember reading the bumper sticker on a small car several years ago.  It made me think, and initially I did not understand it.  Perhaps you have seen one like it, or have heard the saying:  "The one with the most toys, wins!"  


It is my observation that the bumper sticker stated very clearly what many wish to accomplish in this life.  And it has become the norm for many.  Natural, and even intuitive.


So, I thought I'd make a short list of behaviors, thought processes, and actions that I believe to be popularly counter-intuitive.  There are likely hundreds more.


1.)  It is more fun, and much more satisfying to give, than to receive.  


2.)  Being "open-handed" rather than "protectionist" with assets, prevents loneliness.


3.)  Honesty in the smallest things, has the largest impact.


4.)  Building up the accomplishments of others rather than your own, brings joy.    


I consider the above list to be unusual.  At least the implementation of the list is probably unusual.  Out of the ordinary.  Less than run-of-the-mill.  Even peculiar.


Read this description of Christians from the New Testament, King James Version:


1 Peter 2:9


But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.


I have compiled and worded this list, but the concepts are by no means original, especially number 1.   


With God's help, I would like to become a little more peculiar!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment