Wednesday, March 7, 2012

An odd name!

An appoggiatura is a note.  A musical note.  It could be perceived as a trouble making note.  


An appoggiatura inserts itself into a chord, and creates dissonance.  The good news is that usually, the chord moves rapidly from dissonance, to consonance.  The dissonance ultimately resolves.  


So, why might that Italian musical term be a good title for a blog?  Could it be because not everything written here is agreeable to every reader?  Might some comments here cause dissonance?  And if so might the comments move rapidly toward consonance?  


Truthfully, I chose that title because of an unfortunate, potentially dangerous memory lapse I had during the oral section of a comprehensive exam  - the final hurdle to receiving my Master of Music degree.  I did pass the exam.  And the term appoggiatura and its definition will always be part of my memory.  


And I DO think that there may be some occasional dissonance here.  But you are always welcome, and your comments as well.  Thanks so much for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment